We have admired Goddess Sonya for some time now and it's a delight to finally welcome her as an official Siren. See all the links at the left of your screen? You have MANY things to see and to learn when visiting her sites...
We were recently interviewed (us for once!) through Sonya's Ethnic Kink site! Check it out!
1) Can you share with us a bit about your background and any info about your ethnic heritage?
I started out working in Houses of Domination years ago and grew frustrated with the way I was marketed and with my lack of free will in deciding whom I sessioned with, so I decided to go independent. After that, I began travelling and was advised to go to the OWK to star in BDSM movies. When I started receiving all types of emails from fans, I decided to do my own filming in America. That's pretty much my background.
As for my ethnic heritage, when I complete forms, I always check "Black".
2) When did you discover your interest in all things fetish? And at which point did this become your lifestyle and also eventually your personal financial business?
I wouldn't say I'm a fetishist although I do have a few personal fetishes.
I would say I'm a Dominant And truth be told, I sort of stumbled upon this lifestyle and the decision to make this my business. I was in graduate school when I decided to drop out to pursue this full time.
3) What is the biggest misconception from the general public towards the BDSM/fetish scene? And what would be the best way to educate people about it?
I think a big misconception the public has about BDSM is that the people involved are sick people with sad childhoods or are maladjusted in some way. I don't see this so much with Fetish, because it's enjoying lots of mainstream love from celebrities and designers.
The best way to educate people is for those in hiding to simply come forward with pride in who they are/what they enjoy. So many people would be surprised to know that there are actually tons of normal, healthy people who just enjoy BDSM.
Obviously, BDSM isn't for everybody, so I wouldn't be in support of some agenda to push acceptance of BDSM onto everyone. But if people are curious, it's up to all of us to help them understand.
4) In your opinion, whatís the worst behavioral trait that a Dominatrix can have?
That's a hard question to answer, but I'll try. There are a number of traits that I find distasteful, but I think a Dominatrix should not lose her temper or take her frustration out on a client or submissive. Domination is about control and an angry woman is a just woman out of control, not a Dominatrix.
5) Can you describe your own personal style as a Dominatrix? And what are your favorite activities (your Top 3, for instance)?
First of all, I only take appointments that I know I will enjoy. I don't like the idea of taking a tribute and going through the motions because that's not fair to the client.
Among my top three favorites are always Face-slapping, CBT and Golden showers. I have more, but those three came to mind first.
6) Do you think that more women of color are finally more active as pro dommes, fetish models or even burlesque entertainers? Or is there still a lot of ground to be covered to break out of some useless stereotypes?
Black women have a terribly long way to go in this business. As pro-dommes, we are making inroads, but there are still no noteworthy fetish models, meaning in major advertising campaigns or on magazine covers. I don't know enough about burlesque, but I can't recall any Black burlesque performers off the top of my head.
It always shocks me how white-washed this lifestyle is, despite the image it enjoys as being so open and diverse.
7) After all these years of experience on the scene, are you still frequently delighted by the imagination behind some requests sent to you or do you have to spice it up on your own to escape routine?
Well, I don't do nearly as many sessions as I used to do before my websites. I don't get bored very easily, but I do like to make things interesting sometimes to shake things up. Nothing really surprises me anymore.
I'll tell you though, the one thing that was cool about working for a House of Domination is the amount of oddball requests people came in with. There was one guy who made the rounds among new girls who had a dental fetish for example.
8) Do you attend many fetish events? What for you constitutes the success of such gatherings? And will you be present at FetishCon 2011 in Tampa Bay? :D
Sadly, I don't attend fetish events like I used to. The scene in New York isn't what it used to be. We used to have the Black & Blue Ball, where people got dressed in their finest fetish wear and came out to mingle with other well dressed people. That was the type of party I like attending.
I plan to be at FetishCon 2011, but there's an old saying that too much planning can mean too little doing. So, we'll see.
9) To people who havenít yet discovered your various websites, can you describe for us all the many goodies one can be expected to find when visiting?
I have so many types of activities like face-sitting, femdom, foot worship, forced bi, trampling and guest mistresses, to name a few. I also have a tickling website, a forced orgasm website and a cbt website chock full of ethnic beauties of all kinds.
10) Is it hard for you to come up with themes regarding your clips work? Are the shoots well thought in advance or do you go with the flow of the moment?
I don't really have a problem coming up with content because I'm constantly thinking and writing down scenes I want to explore. Some scenes I have to avoid for legal reasons.
My shoots vary depending on who I'm shooting with. If the performer is disciplined, I can work from my plan, but when they're new or uncooperative I have to change tactics and go to plan B, which isn't as organized as what I originally planned.
For the most part, I plan my girl/girl shoots but the boy/girl shoots, I don't always know what I'll do until I start doing it.
11) Which other high-profile dominas and models do you consider your best friends/associates?
My best friends in this business have either retired or passed away.
12) So if we go on a purely medical side: why would a guy be willing to be dominated by a beautiful woman (and pay tribute)? What are the most common psychological traits to be detected among the majority of submissive men?
Let me just say, the majority of guys that come in for sessions are not submissive. They simply want to exchange power. Once the session is over, they go back to being who they are in their normal lives.
With that in mind, I believe men desire being dominated in order to satisfy a part of themselves they don't normally get to nurture. It balances them out.
Dominatrixes are fantasy facilitators. We are merely the tool that men rely on to help them fulfill that part of them that perhaps their best friend knows nothing about. Sometimes we even awaken things inside them they never even knew were there.
13) Have you ever been to Montreal (or Canada) before? Can you imagine the delight for all if we ever get to greet you here to work with the Cult Sirens crew? ;)
Alas, I'm going to be honest and admit that I have no strong desire to visit Canada. Only because I don't like cold weather.
I think I've put most of my world travelling behind me for now; the new FAA rules and Airport fees have made it very uncomfortable to travel. But if your summers are mild, there is always hope for a road trip...