We were so stunned when stumbling upon Delysia's pics that we couldn't help to wonder how come we didn't know her before? Well all that is changed now!
1) ) Can you share with us a bit about your background and any info about your ethnic heritage?
I am African American, I was raised in the south Bronx. I have been a visual artist all my life, learned from my dad. Went to CCNY to study art and fell in love with the theater dept. Been a theater junkie ever since.
2) Are there many artists that inspired you to become the performer that you are today?
I have wanted to be a performer since I was a little girl. I am a sucker for old Hollywood and black and white films. Love Marilyn Monroe, Ann-Margret, Dorothy Dandridge, osephine Baker, Rita Hayworth, Natalie Wood, Jessica Rabbit and Betty Boop J. The women I admired in music: Vanity, Madonna, Grace Jones, Kate Bush, Cyndi Lauper, to name a few.
3) So… where is the official website? Any help we could provide? ;)
http://darkheroine.wordpress.com/ Please let people know about this show. It’s going to be so much fun! We are having after parties after every performance!!! Tell 'em to buy their tickets on Smarttix.com!!
4) What can one expect when attending a Delysia La Chatte performance for the first time?
They can expect to be turned on. They will be excited and delighted my shows are classy, innovative and kinky.
5) What can you tell us about Dark Heroine and The Witching Hour Burlesque?
I created The Witching Hour Burlesque so that I could control over creating my burlesque image. At the time I didn’t know of any burlesque performers of color. I wanted to marry the world of theater, music and pop culture into burlesque and create something fun and exciting. And I wasn’t sure if it was going to be a hit but folks really dig it. :)
I started writing the “script” for Dark Heroine this spring. I have always wanted to do a superhero themed burlesque act but there are so many of them that I wanted to be I couldn’t choose just one. So I created each character and each of their stories that will be told through burlesque and found burlesque performers whose work I admire to fill the roles.
Dark Heroine is a burlesque cabaret with spoken word, music. Nina Simone (the ultimate super heroine) songs carry the cabaret along. This is a tribute to super heroines of color. Not just the Marvel comic super heroines but women who are strong, powerful and own their sexuality.
There is homage paid to the queens of blackxplotation like Foxy Brown and Cleopatra Jones. There are some actual comic super heroes in the show inspired by Storm, and Martha Washington (Martha Washington Saves the World). I was also inspired by real women like Grace Jones. The final number has a biblical aspect I will be portraying the original feminist Lilith. Lilith was Adam's wife prior to Eve. She was created as his equal she refused to submit to Adam and left. Rumor has it she became a succubus who seduces young men in their sleep and eats small children or maybe she became the Queen of Sheba.
The cabaret contains the works of Nikki Giovanni and the writing of yours truly. The show runs about 45 mins without intermission. Drinks are $5 and will be served by sexy cocktail waitresses.
6) Would you be willing in the future to do a shoot wearing usual fetish fabrics like latex, rubber, leather, etc.?
I love Latex and fetish wear. I love to model it and create interesting themes around the outfits. I am inspired by artists like Mark Ryden, Kukula, and Ray Caesar… Even before I had the courage to be a burlesque performer or a model I have collected images that I wanted to recreate either through burlesque or in photos.
7) Now what can be your biggest fashion weakness… corsets? towering platform shoes? or any other? or all of the above?
Shoes!!! I love beautiful and interesting shoes. Beautiful undies are also a weakness of mine. Neon lace and candy colored sheers are to die for.
8) One of our missions at Cult Sirens is to think outside the box… so we’re asking you: how come there’s still not that many Black alt/fetish models active today? And burlesque perfomers? What are your thoughts on that?
I’ve been working with the wonderful Raquel Reed to start my alt portfolio. She’s been very helpful she’s a biracial butterfly. I don’t know of any black Alt models. I guess that’s gonna be me and once I get my foot in the door I’ll open the doors for others and give them opportunities. There are many burlesque performers of color. I feel that they don’t get the recognition they deserve but they are out there and they are creating a place for themselves without waiting for someone to pay attention to them. I’m sure you are familiar with the fabulous ladies of Brown Girls Burlesque. There is also a new troupe with Asian burlesque performers called Yellow Fever Burlesque I have yet to check them out but I know some of the performers well and they are hot.
9) Tell us about all the steps required when you’re creating a new stage routine (costumes, music, choregraphy, etc.). Is there a team around you or are you 100% in charge of production/creation?
I started my burlesque troupe as part of a theater company I created with a few close friends from college called Stage of Fiends (SOF). I am the burlesque branch of SOF. So, yes I am artistic director. I create my own acts and there are times when I’d ask one of my SOF besties for their opinions and input. Dark Heroine will be the first time I work with a choreographer to help with the other acts. It’s way too much for one person esp. since I’m producing the show too.
10) Can you claim that there’s a thin line between your private life and your artistic activities?
When I was a Kindergarten teacher I kept the burlesque part of my life a secret and was always afraid that someone would find out about me. My family knows what I do and my momma’s proud of me so I say, “Who cares! Let your freak flag fly!”
11) Have you done any film work? What would be an ideal part for you in a feature-length movie, for example?
I’ve only done stage work at this point and a music video for a rap group called Mega Bone. I’d love to be in a Russ Meyeresque film. Like a remake of Faster Pussy Cat Kill Kill! A Giallo or a remake of Polanski's Repulsion. Love sexy horror films.
12) When you can get out of all these colorful costumes and finally wear sweatpants (!!!), what do your prefer to do to relax?
I love men’s t-shirts or tank tops and boxer briefs. That’s what I lounge in. I love watching old movies, listening to music while drawing or creating collages. Spending time with my pets is also very important to me.
13) So hey… is it so far fetched to think that some day you’ll come perform in Montreal and you’ll get the chance to shoot something with the Cult Sirens crew? :D
I would love to. That would be the ultimate.